Questions? Call us at (617) 880-0155 Login Sign Up Today
Toggle Bar

Foods you should never feed to your dog

You may be tempted at times to give your furry friend a snack or your leftovers from dinner as he sits next you at the table, begging. Be cautious! There are a number of foods that we as humans can safely eat, however can lead to serious health issues if fed to our dog. 

begging dog 

Raisins (and grapes!) - There is some toxic chemical found in raisins that if consumed by your pooch can cause serious liver problems and lead to kidney failure. Some signs to watch out for include nausea, vomiting, and extreme thirst and urination. If you suspect your dog has ingested either raisins or grapes be sure to let your veterinarian know immediately so they let you know what to do.

raisins

 

Onions - Onions contain a substance that when consumed by a dog can be toxic by destroying red blood cells in his or her system, leading to anemia. Vomiting, bad appetite, red colored urine and sluggishness are all signs that your pet may be in trouble. If you notice any of these symptoms you will most likely have to visit the veterinarian to induce vomiting. In extreme cases, some dogs may even need a blood transfusion.

onions

 

Milk and dairy - This one varies for each dog. Some dogs have a slight intolerance to dairy items, while others can't handle any and are lactose intolerant. Dairy products including cheese, ice-cream, and yogurt may easily upset your pals stomach. Consumption of these can lead to vomiting, itching, and diarrhea. If you want to give your dog a treat on a hot day, buy frozen dog treats in the store like ‘Frosty Paws’, which are found in the ice cream aisle.

dairy product

 

Xylitol - This sweetener which can be found in gum, candies, mints, toothpaste, and certain peanut butters (you need to check the ingredients!) is a danger to dogs. Ingesting too much of this sweetener can lead to severe hypoglycemia, extreme liver function failure and in toxic doses even death. Signs that your dog may have consumed too much of this include lack of coordination, seizures, sluggish behavior, and acting weak. You will certainly need to bring your pet to the doctor’s office right away for treatment or brain damage could occur. More than likely, your vet will have to put your pet on an IV to bring  blood sugar levels back to normal.

xylitol sweetener

 

Macadamia Nuts - These nuts are one of the most lethal. They contain an unidentified toxin that can lead to vomiting, shaking, very high fever, back legs collapsing, and being unable to walk. If your dog shows any of these symptoms you will want to give your vet a call and bring in your pet right away. They may be given medicine for induced vomiting or other treatment depending on the severity of poisoning.

macadamia nut

 

Peaches or Plums (Pit) - Feeding your dog foods with pits can easily lead to an emergency visit to the vet. Pits pose a choking hazard or can get lodged in a dog’s digestive system. One other point to make note of is that peach pits contain the chemical cyanide. Watch out for trouble breathing, looking dizzy, excessive panting and drooling if you suspect he or she ate one.

peaches and plums

 

Cooked chicken or fish bones -  In addition to fruits with pits, you are better off if you avoid feeding cooked bones to your dog to prevent choking or damage to the stomach, and throat. All it takes is one splinter to cause internal injuries, or a small piece of bone could get lodged in your dog's windpipe or esophagus. Pieces of bone could also cause intestinal obstruction which most likely will require surgery to fix.

fish bone

 

Just because people can safely eat certain foods, doesn’t mean dogs can. Do yourself a favor and avoid a trip to the vet. Stick with healthy snacks like watermelon, carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes, rice, pasta, cooked ground beef and salmon and everyone will be happy.

foods avoid feeding dog

 

Share

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn